libungif3g-dev: post-installation script error

I've been keeping up with potato fairly regularly (two or three times
a week), and occasionally I wind up with errors that look like this
(this is what I got today):

    dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script:
        Exec format error
    dpkg: error processing libungif3g-dev (--configure):
        subprocess post-installation script returned error exit
            status 2
        libungif3g-dev

Sometimes I can get things to work by doing dpkg --purge, apt-get install,
but in this case several things depend on the library.  Is there a
way around this, or should I file a bug report and wait for a repaired
package?  Where do these installation / configuration scripts live --
perhaps I can fix it myself?

Thanks.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley           tel: 907-474-2689 fax: 474-2643
930 Koyukuk Drive, Suite 408C     email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu

PGP key: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/pubkey.asc