Re: Adelphia Powerlink and Debian

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 12:48:40PM -0600, Phil Brutsche generated a stream of 1s and 0s:

Adelphia does that? I used to think you HAD to use dhcp client with
@Home, but found out later that simply setting your static IP address works
just fine. I think they run DHCP for convenience of wintendo users.

I had to give him Windows so that he can be assured
everything works. After that I went straight to Linux. I originally
thought that the only way to configure your machine is to use DHCP
client, since nothing worked with the settings they gave me. I was wrong
because I didn't have BCAST set correctly. It did take a long while to
figure out that they need hostname sent to the DHCP server. I wonder if
the IP addresses are really locked to the MAC address of the modem. BTW
does anyone know what exactly is that serial port on 3COM Cable Modem
CMX? I can't find absolutely any documentation anywhere, including their
website. Maybe it's possible to tweak it :)? Also I wish this modem
could be assigned an IP address just like ISDN routers are, but I don't
think it's an option.

--
Get the truth or risk frying your brains! --> www.truthinlabeling.org <--