Is there a way to automatically list the packages, and their versions, upon which a particular package depends?

Often when people report bugs, they include something like this:

    Versions of packages dpkg depends on:
    ii  libc6                         2.1.3-7    GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
    ii  libncurses5                   5.0-6      Shared libraries for terminal hand
    ii  libstdc++2.10                 1:2.95.2-7 The GNU stdc++ library

I can't believe that they typed all that in by hand; I want to believe
that there is a handy tool which, when invoked like this

        $ handy-tool dpkg

emits the output that I see above.  But I know of no such tool; the
closest thing I've found is pkg-order.

How do they do it?