Errormessage: invalid character in exportstr (?)

Hi all,

since some time (on several machines with newest woody) I get an error
message when logged in as root (not as a normal user):

   invalid character 32 in exportstr for export PATH

This happens with all commands where bash is involved. In my PATH are
the common directories, echo $PATH gives
"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11"

It's not doing any harm, but it's annoying anyway ...

What's happening and how to avoid this message?

Hoping for help,
joachim