Re: URGENT! deleted my home directory

matheson@mail1.facile.com (Matheson) wrote:
>I accidently moved my home directory into a temporary folder and then
>deleted it (I thought I had typed 'cp' but I guess I didn't).  So, I was
>wondering if there was a way to get everything back (undelete)

Yes. Maybe.

Do *not* write to the disk. Preferably mount it only read-only if you
have to. As long as you haven't written over it by accident, you can
probably get most of the data back, though it's likely to take a fair
bit of time and effort. The procedure's too long and involved to post
here; look at the Ext2fs-Undeletion mini-HOWTO for more information.
You'll find it in /usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.txt.gz,
or, if not there, you can use the copy on my web server at:

  http://riva.ucam.org/doc/HOWTO/en-html/mini/Ext2fs-Undeletion.html

(I'd recommend www.linuxdoc.org, but we seem to be having network
problems here at the moment and it's easier just to recommend somewhere
I *know* works ...)

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]