Re: URGENT! deleted my home directory

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 10:35:50PM -0600, Dean Struss wrote:
> Hi all: I too have a question on the cp command. When used it always
> ask rm the file I'm trying to copy. Is cp copy or remove? Also can't
> one specify a place on a directory with a new name to place a file in
> a newly created file. I keep getting the response that directory
> doesn't have a file of that name. TIA         Dean

If cp is aliased to 'cp -i' then it will prompt you if you attempt to
overwrite a file with the same name. It's pretty standard to have
aliases for rm, mv, and cp that do this by default -- sort of "Are you
sure?" kind of prompt. It can save you from permanently doing something
stupid.  If you're really sure you want to clobber the file(s) without
getting prompted, you can use the '-f' or '--force' flags. Be careful
though -- 'rm -rf /' will ruin your day!

If the you're getting prompted to remove a destination file that doesn't
exist, then I'd think something fishy was afloat. For more info, check
the man pages for mv, cp, rm, rmdir, etc...

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |