Re: periodic crashes

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 09:05:13PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:
> I just ran the "last" command, and I noticed that my machine has crashed
> several times since March 1 and in each instance, the time was the same, 17:01
> UTC.
>
> What is the best way to track down the cause of the crashes?

As noted elsewhere, 17:01 is the time the system rebooted, not that it
died.

Look through /var/log for any files updated since shortly before 17:01,
and look in them for any activity going on prior to 17:01.  If you're
getting regular crashes at the same time, you've very likely either got
a very reliable cleaning service which is disconnecting power at the
same time every day, or a cron job that sets your system off.

The latter may not be a broken script -- it's possible that there are
hardware or other system problems which are being aggrevated by certain
processing.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)

Scope out Scoop:  http://scoop.kuro5hin.org/