Re: root unknown

The general solution is to boot the system with a rescue disk or boot
floppy, and either edit out the root password from /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow, or to issue a new password.

Which you choose depends on whether you're trying to get into a system
you own or crack one you don't, while leaving the system in its initial
state...