Re: free zip utility, anyone?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 10:01:09AM +0100, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> I have unsuccessfully searched some file archives for a free zip utility that would let me extract pkzip files. Is there such a thing, or is the zip algorithm patented or something?
>
> Hans Ekbrand

[eb@socrates man]$ dpkg -S miniunzip
zlib-bin: /usr/bin/miniunzip
[eb@socrates man]$ dpkg -s zlib-bin
Package: zlib-bin
 Some generally useful sample programs from the contrib directory.
 Includes a "mini" implementation of `zip' and `unzip' called
 `minizip' and `miniunzip' respectively.

[eb@socrates man]$ vrms
No non-free packages installed on socrates! rms would be proud.
[eb@socrates man]$

[eb@socrates man]$ zcat /usr/share/doc/zlib-bin/readme.txt.gz

UnZip 0.15 additionnal library

  This unzip package allow extract file from .ZIP file, compatible
with
PKZip 2.04g, WinZip, InfoZip tools and compatible.

  Multi volume ZipFile (span) are not supported, and old compression
used by old
PKZip 1.x are not supported.

<snip>

miniunzip is basic, but it works, it will even extract those annoying
self extracting dos archives.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/