Re: kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 01:05:31PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> I had to press the reset button again today while working (running
> Acrobat Reader on a gnome - icewm environment.  My system is a mixed
> slink/potato system.
>
> Then I checked /var/log/kern.log and found the following:
>
> May  2 12:24:58 Johann kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
> May  2 12:24:58 Johann kernel: 16:05: rw=1, want=65516, limit=65488
>
> Looking for the same kind of error earlier in the logfile I found it a
> few times, most of the time referring to (I suppose it is a device)
> 02:00 a few times and once to 03:04 in the second line.
>
> Now my questions:
>
> 1. Is this a kernel problem or a hardware problem?
> 2. Where can I find out to which device (if it is a device it refers
> to) a number like 16:05 in the error message above refers.  I have
> looked at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt, but do not get a
> clear answer on this.
> 3. How can I prevent the same problem in the future?

what kernel version is this?  if its 2.2.{10,11,12,13} upgrade it to
2.2.14 NOW!  2.2.10 (and/or 2.2.11) had a really NASTY filesystem
corruption problem that manifested itself with the exact error you are
seeing.  2.2.13 just trashes filesystems silently -- until the fs is
so fs*ked that it starts generating other errors.

pretty much any kernel older then 2.2.5 or newer then 2.2.7 (i think)
but older then 2.2.14 will likely destroy filesystems and cause all
kinds of disk related hell.

if your kernel is up to date, then it might be hardware, but im not
sure.  the most common cause of those errors is buggy 2.2 series
kernels.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/