Re: Emacs - was Re: Mail/news software

Let me reply to myself here. This kinda came off wrong.

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:15:37PM -0500, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> Linux[1] is much more difficult (to learn anyway) yet much more powerful than,
> say, windows. The Windows philosophy is: "don't think, everything should be
> easy." With linux, you must think. The windows philosophy seems to rub off
> onto the rest of one's life (or maybe it's the other way around). Some
> people don't like to think, and windows encourages this.
>
> Linux, on the other hand, makes and encourages you to think. Hopefully, this
> will rub off onto the rest of your life and make you a better person. Yes,
> Linux can make you a better person.

For me, Linux makes me think. For others, windows may make them think. For
still others, something else (not computer related) may make them think. If
linux makes you think, good. If windows makes you think, good. If something
else makes you think, good. If nothing makes you think, then I you truly
have my sympathy.

So, linux can make you a better person by encouraging thought; windows can
too; almost anything else can too. When I think of windows users, however, I
think of two of my friends talking about Aol Instant Messanger:

  first friend: Hey, you should download AIM.

  second friend: But I have Hotmail [or something, I'm not 100% sure]
                 Messanger [and I don't use it].  I have to figure out how to
                 uninstall that first.

  me: you can have them both installed at once.

  second friend: I don't know. I'm gonna try to uninstall it.

But not everyone's like that. My point is that you shouldn't go through life
with your head under the sand. For me, maybe, linux has helped me learn some
stuff which hopefully rubs off into other facets of my life [some might say,
based on these posts, that linux (or something anyway) has turned me into a
complete idiot, but I think it has helped]. Windows may help some others
(but of course, I'd rather see everyone running free software).

--
Pat Mahoney	pat7@gmx.net