Re: MySQL *.deb's dependencies ignored? maybe?

okay, i tried the purge of the odd mysql stuff...

root# apt-get --purge remove mysql\*
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting mysql-server instead of virtual-mysql-server
Note, selecting mysql-base instead of mysql
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libdbd-mysql-perl* libmysqlclient6* mysql-doc*
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 3224kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 34321 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libdbd-mysql-perl ...
Removing libmysqlclient6 ...
dpkg - warning: while removing libmysqlclient6, directory `/etc/mysql'
not empty so not removed.
Purging configuration files for libmysqlclient6 ...
Removing mysql-doc ...

root# dpkg -l mysql\*
||/ Name              Version           Description
+++-=================-=================-===============================
un  mysql             <none>            (no description available)
rc  mysql-base        3.21.33b-4        mysql database client binaries
in  mysql-bench       3.22.32-2         (no description available)
pn  mysql-client      <none>            (no description available)
un  mysql-dev         <none>            (no description available)
pn  mysql-doc         <none>            (no description available)
un  mysql-manual      <none>            (no description available)
pn  mysql-server      <none>            (no description available)
pn  mysql-shared      <none>            (no description available)

root# apt-get install mysql-{server,doc,client}
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libmysqlclient6
  libmysqlclient6 mysql-client mysql-doc mysql-server
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 29 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/2386kB of archives. After unpacking 4992kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Configuring packages ...

so that 'shared' stuck around even after an apt-get update and --purge.

now i gotta restore my users. i'll find that in the docs somewhere.

(what i find amusing is that i can get in via
	mysql -u root <db>
but not
	mysqladmin -u root password <newpass>
	mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
	error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'
that doesn't make sense to me yet.)