Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

Jeremy Hansen <jeremy@xxedgexx.com> writes:
JH> Dpkg vs RPM
JH> 	Both managability and build packages.  I have heard a lot
JH> 	of "good things" about dpkg.

My experience has been that it can be extremely hard to upgrade a
system from one RH release to another, and that RH is very bad about
providing migration paths between releases.  In contrast, it's easy to
upgrade Debian machines (I track the "unstable" branch and do an
upgrade every day or two), and Debian's APT tool can handle even the
messiest system upgrades with only one or two user commands.  Oh yeah,
and I've never used a --force-* option with dpkg (unless some package
in unstable was broken, but that usually cleans itself up every day or
two).

JH> Customization of the distro
JH> 	We do a lot of customization to our distro.  Can this easily
JH> 	be done with debian?

Debian seems to be fairly tweak-friendly; dpkg makes an effort to not
overwrite users' configuration files without advance notice.  Building
Debian packages takes a little work, but there are semiautomated tools
that help a lot.

JH> Autoinstall (Red Hat's kickstart)
JH> 	This is also something fairly important.  We need this as we do a
JH> 	lot of mass installs.

This isn't quite there.  IANADD, but my guess is that this
functionality will probably appear (via APT and debconf) in a few
months.  The groundwork for this is still being written.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell