newbie plip question

I have an old 486 (dx 33/210mb hd/12mgs ram/)  with a base install of
slink on it, that I want to network with my main dual-boot system
(166mmx overclocked to 200mhz/5.1gig hd/96mgs ram/windoz98/linux) via a
plip connection.
 I have attempted to do this with rh 6.1, and mdk 6.0, but have had no
success. I have edited my /etc/hosts file, and issued modprobe
sucessfully on the 486, and it is  ready and waiting, but I haven't
gotten the main box to work.
I have been given a 2 cd copy of slink, that I am going to put on my
main box.  Is there anything special that I should install/be aware of
in order to run a plip?
many tia

russell