Re: Video display question.

Hello Brent,

On 18-May-00, you wrote:

BM> I've been playing around with my xf86config and my window manager
BM> (afterstep) for a while trying to get images to appear as nice as
BM> when I view them in Windows. I have a ATI Rage IIc AGP with 8 Mb of
BM> RAM and I run X windows at 24 bpp and a resolution of 1024x768. My
BM> problem is that Netscape has trouble "allocating a colour map entry
BM> for the background" and jpegs and such all appear grainy no matter
BM> what program I use to view them with. I've limited my wharf to 5
BM> colour unintensive icons, since any more would not appear when the
BM> wharf was started. Also, I just have a plain blue background for my
BM> root window.
BM>
BM> Can anyone tell me what needs to be done so that I can get more
BM> colours on my screen? Thanks in advance
BM>
BM> Brent McMillan

Colourmaps are only used in 8bpp and lower displays - 16bpp and 24bpp
use a number of bits per gun: for 16bpp R=5, G=6, B=5 and for 24bpp R=8,
G=8, B=8.

I'm still in the process of completing a system set-up and have just
gone through the X set up procedure and what I think has happened is
this:  When you set up your XF86Config after first installing it (using
xf86config) you are asked to confirm/set the required screenmodes for
8bpp, 16bpp, 24bpp and 32bpp.  Once you have done that, the
DefaultColourDepth appears (I didn't check this as it only ocurred to me
after I'd fixed it) to get set to 8 in XF86Config.

In another post to this list, that I saw today, it was pointed out that
once X has started, you can change resolution modes: 640x480, 800x600
etc. but you can't change bpp depths, so you end up running in 8bpp.
What I did, and it worked, was to run the other X setup prog -
XF86Setup from a terminal.

Select Modeselection.  Select 24bpp and then select the screen modes you
want _in the order you want them_ - e.g. 1600x1200 then 1280x1024 then
1024x768 then 800x600 then 640x480.  After doing that, select Done and
then okay, then save.  Log out, then back in and you should be running
in 24bpp at the first resolution you selected.

Check man XF86Setup ;)

Bye,

LeeE
--