Re: squid maybe causing crash

In article <cistron.CC2568E4.0009568C.00@diagnack1.diagnostic.co.nz>,
 <zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz> wrote:
>i just had my mail/internet server crash.  It took a while for fsck to fix
>the problem... but most of the errors point to squid caching
>directories.... is there a connection here???

Well yes, squid is a process that has a lot of files open. When a box
crashes, the files with the most damage are files that were open
for writing at the time of the crash.

As for a process causing a box to crash, that should never happen. If
a program crashes a box, it's not the fault of the program, it's a
kernel bug or, more likely, some hardware problem. User level programs
should not be able to crash a box - remember, this is not windows.

Mike.
--
Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt.