Re: diald inactivity timer...

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 08:35:31AM -0400, James Tetazoo wrote:

> From reading the diald man page, I think the following in my diald.options
> file may come close to doing what I want:

Look at the file /etc/diald/standard.filter which defines rules for
keeping the link open based on the particular types of traffic going
through it.  IIRC the default one has:

accept tcp 120 tcp.dest=tcp.www

which keeps the link open for two minutes after a packet that looks like
it's part of a web connection has been transmitted.

> From reading the diald man page, I think the following in my diald.options
> file may come close to doing what I want:

>         impulse 600, 30

> I've tried it, and it does keep the link up longer, but I haven't
> exhaustively tested it to see if it really behaves the way I want.  Anyone
> have any experience with this?

This keeps the link open for ten minutes after you connect and then for
approximately ten minute intervals thereafter.  It's not selective
about the kind of traffic that holds the link open.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/