Deb. 2.2 setting up loopback/route

Hello World,

i've installed a frozen 2.2 debian and encountered some problems setting
up route & network loopback. First I found that a "nslookup localhost" wasn't
working. Since no network is attached to the PC i understood that i have to
configure loopback/route.
I configured the loopback device using
>ifconfig -lo 127.0.0.1

ifconfig told me LOOPBACK DEVICE UP (or so)
and a >ping 127.0.0.1 worked

I think that i have to configure route as well and tried a
>route add -net 127.0.0.0 or >route add -net 127.0.0.1
and got the errormsg SIODTTR (something like it)
A cat /proc/net/route showed me no routing at all.
System is a Debian 2.2 frozen with a 2.2.14 homebrew Kernel i.e. not the
standard 2.2.15 Kernel any more. Will update to 2.2.15 again soon.

Could anybody tell me: Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Malte Schmidt