Re: power saving - A good idea

> I lost a hard drive on my firewall machine recently so I looked for ways to
> conserve the drive. I enabled power saving(?) in the BIOS so that the IDE
> spins down after 5 mins of inactivity. As it is the only machine on a lot of
> the time, the HD is rarely used anyway.
> Any downside to this, will it cause problesm? Three days in and the machine
> seems fine.

<paranoid>
there is a downside: every time the disk spins up, it gets a bit "older".
ide disks survive many more spin-ups than scsi disks nowadays, but they
have their limits, too.
</paranoid>
however, this number is about 300,000 or something like that (will vary
very much from disk to disk). assuming, that the drive spins up 100
times a day, it would work for 10 years. so this should not be an issue.

If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!