Re: Help: Netgear or Linksys NIC's? Please?

* montefin <montefin@finux.com> [21-05-2000 07:42 PM -0600]
> Hi,
>
> I just told a friend who bounced off Debian that the
> _one_outstanding_factor_ in my having made it so far in Debian was
> _this_list_. With that guilt trip firmly implanted ;) here's my
> question:
>
> I'm having an SDSL connection installed the first week of June. I will
> need to have network cards in both my computers. I am told the installer
> will take care of the rest while installing a Flowpoint 2200 DSL Router.
> I have never had nor installed a network card in any computer. I have
> received recommendations on two:
>
> 1.) Netgear's FA310TX 10/100 PCI RJ45 NIC NIC

This is one of the cards I have in this PC. Always worked like a charm
with the tulip module. I mostly compiled it in the kernel. I've used
this card for my cable modem side since the 2.0.36 kernel and never had
any problem with it. Installation should be only a matter of choosing it
from the adapter list during the initial network configuration. As a matter
of fact, on this box, I installed potato from the network via this card.

> 2.) Linksys's ETHERFAST FAST ENET PCI 10/100 MBS 10/100BTX RJ45 PNP

Never used this one.

> Prime considerations are #1 support in Debian/Linux, #2 ease of
> installation and configuration for a non-hardware guy. I've seen both
> these cards discussed here and have read back through the archives, but
> would like some 'fresh' input before purchasing. I need to make a choice
> and buy & install 2 of the same card this week to be ready for the
> installer.
>
> The 2 computers are:
>
> a.) a 486DX 66MHz, 24Mb, HDD 814Mb, Kernel 2.2.15pre19-2 -- currently
> all IDE (no-scsi card, although scsi is enabled in the kernel) booting
> only Debian Potato (not Frozen) over a 56k internal modem dial-up to a
> local ISP.

Potato currently *is* 'frozen'.

--
Didi Damian :: ddamian@home.com :: www.debiandiary.f2s.com

Debian GNU/Linux,
when code matters more than commercials   |  10:40pm  up 1 day,  7:20,