Re: Please help - network incredibly slow...

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 08:17:14PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote

> > > What IS a framing error?
> >
> > Well [waves hands] it means that it pulled an incomplete or
> > corrupted frame off the wire.  Data is framed so that you can
> > tell where it starts and ends, and perform basic sanity checks.
> > A framing error could be a single-bit error in just the wrong
> > place, or it could be two days' worth of packets in the bit
> > bucket.
>
> Ah, so it indicates data corruption - thanks...
>
> > As you have a SMP system, you should ensure that the drivers for
> > your network cards (and, for good measure, your other drivers)
> > are SMP safe - most are, but it's not yet something you can take
> > for granted.
>
> This could be an issue, I'll check it out.
>

> > > 1) How much throughput [...}
> >
> > Couldn't say for sure but I'd expect that 100mbit/s would
> > top-out at around 10MB/s - it depends on what else is trvelling
> > on the wire, packet sizes, and whether your PC can keep up (it
> > should be able to).
>
> So what I'm getting is definitly to low.
>
> > > 2) Any idea why transfers on the first one flood all consoles with
> > > error messages?
> > >

> > That depends... what are the messages?
>
> "Something Wicked Happend 000a" and
> "Something Wicked Happend 0009"

This is a message produced by the via-rhine, old-tulip and
yellowfin drivers.  They appear to use it to indicate that an
error was detected, but not identified.  The number at the end
is the value of "intr_status", not that that tells *me* much.

If you boot a non-SMP kernel, do the problems go away?

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au