mailwatcher

I would like to have a mail watcher or checker that tells me if there is new mail. As of now, I do not know I have new mail not unless I login to a console or terminal then it tells me that I have new mail there. I would like to have a sort of a checker or watcher applet in my x-window (gnome running enlightenment) that tells me that I have new mail in my /var/spool/mail. I have tried to get gmailwatch thru freshmeat and gnome but the site seems down. Is there a mail checker out there that anybody can recommend?