New kernel needed for potato upgrade?

Can some one explain the relation between kernel upgrade and
slink->potato upgrade?
I had a working slink, and did this:
1) updated from my 2.0.36 kernel to 2.2.14 by installing just
kernel-image-2.2.14-ide.
This was a failure in that after the update, (on network start, I think)
I saw messages like
"SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument ... eth0: not found" and I had no network
connection. So
I uninstalled and went back to 2.0.36
2) Reading in some doc that potato supports both 2.0 and 2.2 kernels, I
did a slink->potato upgrade.
Almost everything worked, but I got messages telling me update-modules
failed, and several
warnings about modutils, seemingly indicating something in potato is not
completely happy
with my 2.0.36 kernel or its configuration.

Right now, the only thing that is not working is pulling mail from a
local IMAP server.  After my
upgrade, I can't do it, from either vm under emacs, or from the Netscape
mail client.  (Thank
goodness for VMWare -- I can still my mail from Netscape under Win98
under VMWare under potato).

So:  Do I need the new kernel? Is it possible the modutils problems are
related to the bum access to
IMAP?

Thanks for any help,

Will Dowling  (william.dowling@isinet.com)