Re: xfstt package and fonts; xfstt and xfs-xtt

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 08:31:54PM +0000, Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> It is said there that you must get the fonts separately for xfstt to
> work.

Yes.

> Can you use the fonts from windows?

Yes.

> If so, how do you do it?

Copy your MS Windows fonts to some location, you can copy them
directly or archive them first (winzip, tar, or other multiplatform
utility).  Copy or unarchive them into a folder.  Default is, IIRC,
/usr/share/fonts/truetype.

Note that the MS EULA for fonts specifically allows their use on
different machines.  Some of the fonts, however, don't render for me.

> Or otherwise, how do you get the fonts?

There are various sources of TT fonts, including websites, CDs available
at office supply stores, peddlers on street corners, large men in dark
alleys....  Just copy the *.ttf files to the appropriate directory.

You'll then need to tell the font server you've got fonts.  RTFM.

> Which is better, xfstt or xfs-xtt, since they seem to conflict with one
> another?

Whichever works for you.  I'm running xfstt.  There is TT support built
directly in to XFree86 v4, you won't need a third-party font server for
this.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org