Wedged graphics card -- Matrox G200

My X session on my primary work box froze up this evening.  System's
still live, but I can't get a display off of it.  sshing in from another
system, 'chvt' had no effect, though I could (and can) start an X
session.

Once running and closing X, I got my console back -- though it was
flashing wildly and eventually turned up an "out of range" dialog on the
monitor itself.  Trying various SVGATextMode settings, including

    SVGATextMode -x -o

...which looks like it ought to reset things from the man page, only
succeeded in flashing the display.

I'm planning on a reboot, but any tips on being able to recover from
something like this would be appreciated.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org