Re: GCC 2.7/Debian Packages/Non ELF

>   DE> Finally, if you do compile them as a.out, I strongly
>   DE> recommend that you configure them with --prefix=/usr/local and install
>   DE> them manually so your versions do not interfere with any prepackaged
>   DE> versions.
>
>      Is gcc included in this recommendation?

Yes.

>      I had thought I would just build `gcc-2.7.2-5.deb' (I think it
> is) and then install it exactly as if it I had just downloaded it from
> the Debian-0.93 tree.

If you do that, the dependency/conflict checking performed by dpkg and
dselect will be useless.  This could lead to problems if you forget
what you've done when you finally get around to upgrading to Debian-1.x.

>      Hmm. I just realized I am assuming that an `i486-linuxaout' build
> of the Debian-1.1 gcc-2.7.2 sources will create a Debian package that
> will install into the same places that `gcc-2.6.3-5.deb' did.

There will certainly be some minor differences on where things will
install but it should still work.

David