Re: Upgrading to lilo-17.2 breaks my setup

Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> This is about a problem that shouldn't have happened, but would have
> been easier to recover from if the system were set up a bit
> differently.  Just US$0.02 worth...
>
> I upgraded to lilo 17.2, and (first time around) said no to the two
> questions from the script (I don't remember clearly what this message
> was, something to do with setting up the boot record).  Then I could
> not reboot.  The bootup screen said LI and stopped there.

Yeah, the script is not overly clear on that point.  I also had my
primary partition on /dev/hdb1 but wanted lilo to install in the boot
secotr of /dev/hda, whcih was not possible in the script.

You probably installed the new lilo in the boot sector, but didn't
re-run it before re-booting.

> I had to use the ?1.1 boot and root disks.  I stumbled over a couple
> of steps.  I didn't realize that I would have to have installed the
> kernel before making a new boot disk.  I didn't remember the name of
> my new kernel, so I couldn't directly use that.  Anyway, somehow in
> the process, I walked all over the lilo.conf setup.

That probably happened when you installed the new lilo.

> ALso, I tried to "execute a shell".  For some reason I didn't bother
> to investigate, the setup and the shell on the boot root disks could
> only see a subset of /etc .

Yes.  the shell capabilities from the boot disks are very limited.  It
would be a good idea to have at least:

statically linked versions of cp, mv, ls, mount/umount, as well as
ext2fs filesystem support (mine do not have this).  The idea is to have
a minimal rescue-disk capability in these disks.  The slackware
distribution had this (does it still?).  Obviously there are limitations
because of size restrictions.  Maybe instead someone could put together
a rescue disk set.

--

David L. Johnson         	dlj0@lehigh.edu  dlj0@netaxs.com
Department of Mathematics	http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html