Re: advice on new machine required

Sounds cool. I just picked up a system from a local vendor (because
unlike gateway, they're fast, and "we know where they live" and can go
bug them about problems.) Specs:
	P166 (66.15 bogomips :-)
	64M of RAM (at $19/M, how could you get less :-)
	Adaptec 2940 SCSI (specifically because it works with linux)
	AT2540 PCI ethernet (which has given me a bunch of "eth0: Bus
master arbitration failure, status 88f2. messages" on 1.3.79, but that
hasn't affected operation as far as I can tell, doing builds and lots
of copies over NFS -- this is a recommended PCI ethernet card for
linux)
	Diamond Stealth64 Graphics2000 with 2M/DRAM (works fine with
the S3 server, it's a Trio64 PCI card, 1280x1024 8bpp... I'm running
1024x768 because my card is actually missing the extra memory, and
have a release to get out, but they'll be fixing that Monday.)

All this plus a 17" MAG monitor and a pair of 2Gig HP scsi drives
(because they where having reliability problems with the 4Gig drives,
and we wanted the system (1) reliable (2) immediately :-) and a short
tower case came out below $5K.

The Motherboard only has 3 PCI slots (video, ethernet, scsi -- really,
what else do you need? the PCI IDE interface is built into the
motherboard...) and 4 ISA slots (which I'm unlikely to use unless I
get a sound card later -- this is a Linux development engine, as I've
got support customers for Kerberos5 on Linux...

			_Mark_ <eichin@cygnus.com>
			Cygnus Support
			Cygnus Network Security <network-security@cygnus.com>
			http://www.cygnus.com/data/cns/