Re: installation boot problem

Hello,

I wrote last night about my NE2000 card perhaps hanging the system
when I was trying to install Debian GNU/Linux.

Bruce Perens wrote:
> Steve,
>
> There is a boot floppy with a newer kernel in the stable/disks/alt directory,
> please try that. If that doesn't work right away, please tell us about your
> hardware.

Thanks, Bruce.  I got it installed.

Now I have another question (along the same lines).  Linux still won't
recognize my ethernet card (which is set up at 0x300 on irq 10).  This
doesn't suprise me too much, for when I was installing the base
system, specifically the network modules, it gave me many options for
cards, but none of them were the NE2000 (even though its clear from
all I've read that NE2000 cards are supported -- albeit they are
fiesty).  It had automatically selected 'dummy driver', so I chose
that for lack of a better option.

Now that the base system and other packages (most of the ones in the
distribution) are installed, I don't know how to get the module I want
installed (I suppose its the 'ne' module) or configured and to
uninstall the dummy driver.

Thanks for the support already,

Steve DeNeefe
sdeneefe@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu