Re: Compiling Kernel -1.3.78

On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> I might suggest that you move forward to 1.3.80 or back to 1.3.75. The
> kernels in between all had pretty severe problems. I'm currently running
> .80 and had no problems with compiling.

I might add *not* to move to 1.3.81.  Linus made named pipes work
slightly differently, he made select() work the same for them and
fifos.  Specifically it breaks sysvinit.  Miquel S already posted a
patch which fixes sysvinit, but hasn't released the new sysvinit with
this patch, 2.60, afaik.

If you absolutely have to have 81 for some other reason, you can
1. apply the patch to sysvinit (posted on linux-kernel mailing list)
or
2. compile 81 with -DFIFO_SUNOS_BRAINDAMAGE

I would suggest just waiting till sysvinit-2.60 is released.

Guy