system clock misleading...

	I have a problem with my system clock and /sbin/clock not being
able to agree on the time. After setting the CMOS clock from my Award
BIOS and booting debian, the clock command in the init.d/boot script will
attempt to set the system clock and then adjust for (or is it with?)
error. The trouble becomes that the time continually sets back to the
last time debian was running, both on the system (and then adjusted for
error) into the CMOS. To be sure, I used my ms-dos partition to test my
system clock, and naturally, nothing to complex - the time is quite
consistant. I've tried disabling the "clock -a" option from the boot
script hoping that clock would only read the time (which takes
considerable time in itself, 20-30 secs?) without causing any sort of
write to CMOS - with no luck, the time is still setting back.
	So I've searched the man page, and can't seem to find anything
else that would lead me to the right direction, has anyone an idea of
where to tinker next?

travis
houston, tejas