Commence downloading for the beta test

The only FTP archive that I currently know to be up to date is

	ftp://ftp.i-connect.net/debian/unstable/binary-i386/

It is now OK to download the beta-test software from that system.
I expect that ftp.debian.org will become in-sync with the master site
within the next several hours. We'll announce when that is the case.
Most of the other mirrors follow ftp.debian.org, and thus will take
some additional time before the beta test software is available on
them. Please don't mob ftp.i-connect.net - unless you plan to test
_today_, you should wait for ftp.debian.org or other mirror sites to
be ready.

The installation disk set is in /debian/unstable/binary-i386 . I am
editing the instructions for this disk set and will publish them in about
an hour. There is one big gotcha on these installation disks. When presented
with the question "is your system connected to the network via Ethernet",
the sense of the answer is reversed yes-for-no. This will be fixed ASAP.

The in-place-upgrade instructions will be published sometime tomorrow.
Use the in-place upgrade, _not_ the installation disks, if you have a
Debian 0.93 system installed now. Several versions of these instructions
have already been published to debian-user, and can be used until the
"official" ones are ready. There are also many users who have been
through the upgrade process and can offer one-on-one help for the upgrade.

This is a rather rough start for the beta test, but I expect to "smooth
out" the problems enough that the less experienced users can cope within
a few days. I felt it was important to meet the test-start deadline we
set in my own time-zone. It was crazy for me to do this on tax-day :-)

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184.79M domestic, $101.7M overseas and counting.