Re: Connection via modem

> okay, i have a computer at work as well as a modem connected to my debian
> server.
>
> what packages will i need to allow me to dial into my machine at work?
>
> thanks

This is probably a more extensive answer than the one you were looking
for :).  There are lots of ways to do it, depending on what you want
to do with the connection.

For you machine at home:
If all you want to do is dial in, check e-mail, and do other text
related activities (reading news, etc...), then minicom will do the trick.
minicom essentially turns one of your virtual consoles into a dumb-
terminal.  All it does is send and receive text over the modem.  Using
a protocol like zmodem (in the lszrz package) you can send files back
and forth as well.  If you want to telnet/ftp anywhere, you'd have to
log into your remote system, then anything you ftp-ed would go to the
remote machine at work, and you'd have to send it via zmodem to the
computer at home.

If you want your own IP address at home, want to telnet/ftp places directly
from home, you'd have to go with ether PPP or SLIP.  PPP is a newer and
better implemented protocol.  With PPP, you'll also be able to do things
like use netscape from your home machine to browse the web, or display
x-windows applications over the modem (this can be S L O W).  PPP is
more difficult to set up, but you get more out of it.

For the computer at work:
If you do option 1 (minicom), all you need is a getty listening to your
modem.

Option 2 (PPP) requres that you have that getty, as well as a PPP server
properly set up, and your work would have to give you an IP address for
your home machine.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.
--
				- John Larkin