Re: New Markets

Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@ke.Central.DE>
> > Who is "us" -- for the GNU community there are no "deadlines".
>
> I submit that this is one reason why the "GNU" system announced in 1984
> never happened, and why the Linux project, which FSF did its best to ignore,
> was the one to realize FSF's own goal.

Some people work better with deadlines.  Some people work better without
deadlines.  There are probably more of the former, than of the latter.
I happen to be one of the latter.

The linux project owes a ==>>HUGE<<== debt to the GNU folks.  Linux
would not, indeed probably "could not", have taken off so fast, had the
GNU folks not been banging on free software for so long beforehand.

Don't forget: linux is really "just" a kernel.

> For the Debian community, there are deadlines. We want the world to take
> us more seriously. Sticking to release dates is going to be part of that.

It's worth noting that a slipped deadline is a lot worse for
credibility, than is a deadline that was never set (or set internally,
but never made public).