Re: FW: FAQ: Work-Needing and Prospective Packages

  Ben> First I tried to surf to www.debian.org and it is down (again?).  Is
  Ben> it off line, temporarily down, or moved?

Temporarily down, I presume. Try again later.

  Ben> Second, I still haven't purchased my P-150 yet, but when I do I need
  Ben> to buy a tape drive.  I plan on getting a machine with EIDE on
  Ben> motherboard and I need to know which tape drives Debian supports.

Have a look at the Ftape-HOWTO, at any sunsite mirror in the doc/HOWTO
directory. I use one of these Connor C250MQ QIC-80 tapes which store about
170 MB compressed on one (extended) tape. Used to be 120 MB. Newer tapes
drives go up to 400 MB compressed, I think.

For your quick reference, here is section 5.1 of the Ftape-HOWTO:

  5.1.  Supported tape drives

  All drives that are both QIC-117 compatible and one of the QIC-40, 80,
  3010, and 3020 standards should work.  QIC-WIDE and Travan drives are
  also supported (TR-1 is just QIC-80 with 8mm tapes, while TR-2 and
  TR-3 is a.k.a QIC-3010 and 3020 respectively).

  Currently, the list of drives that are known to work with ftape is:

  7  Alloy Retriever 250

  7  Archive 5580i / XL9250i

  7  Colorado DJ-10 / DJ-20 (aka: Jumbo 120 / Jumbo 250)

  7  HP Colorado T1000

  7  Conner C250MQ(T), TSM420R, TSM850R, TST800R, TST3200R

  7  Escom / Archive (Hornet) 31250Q

  7  Irwin 80SX / Insight 80Mb

  7  Iomega Ditto Tape Insider 420, 1700, 3200

  7  Mountain FS8000

  7  Reveal TB1400

  7  Summit SE 150 / SE 250

  7  Tallgrass FS300 (needs a tiny hack to work with AHA1542B)

  7  Memorex tape drive backup system

  7  Wangtek 3040F, 3080F

  You can always check out the newest list of drives that are recognised
  by ftape, by looking in the file vendors.h in the ftape distribution.

  Although I do not want to endorse one drive type over another, I want
  to mention that the Colorado DJ-20 drive is rather noisy, when
  compared to, say, a Conner C250MQ drive ('tis said that the Colorado
  is 5-10 times as noisy as the Conner drive. I can't tell for sure, but
  I have a Colorado, and it is quite noisy).

  If you have a Tallgrass FS300 and an AHA1542B, you need to increase
  the bus-on / bus-off time of the 1542B.  Antti Virjo
  (<klanvi@uta.fi>), says that changing CMD_BUSON_TIME to 4 and
  CMD_BUSOFF_CMD to 12 in linux/drivers/scsi/aha1542.c will do the
  trick.

  NOTE: If you have a drive that works fine, but it is not listed here,
  please send a mail to the HOWTO maintainer (<khp@pip.dknet.dk>).

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd