Re: Disk partitioning strategy?

According to Peter Halvorson:
> Is it easy to dynamically adjust the partition sizes? make them bigger?
> smaller?  (AIX has its bad points, but it does do some neat tricks with
> partitions, disks and filesystems.)

This would be a nice feature that is not currently available.

> If I do break up the disk, what sizes work well?
> (50 MB /, 350 MB /usr, 50 MB /tmp, and the rest in /home?)

I suspect most installations, especially the single user systems,
use one partition for swap and another for linux.  Section 4.2 in the
Installation-HOWTO has a section on what to consider.  Also, see the
mini-HOWTO Multiply-Disk-Layout.  The following message is dated but
gives actual sizes.

According to wpp@marie.physik.tu-berlin.de (Kai Petzke) 29 Jun 94 10:52:23 GMT:
> My proposol:

> - Create a small root partition (approx 30 MB)
> - Swap partition
> - /usr partition (read only, approx 300 MB)
> - /var partition (size between 20 MB and 1000 MB, depending
>   on how much news and mail you run).
> - /home partition (the rest)

Of course it depends on how the system will be used.  An ISP with news and
mail will be much different than a stand-alone, single-user system.  It
would be helpful if the 1.1 Beta testers would report the results of du for
their systems and include a description on its utilization.

Carl Greco                 PHONE voice: (402) 496-3381
cgreco@Novia.Net