Update to 1.1 report

Have just updated my system from 0.93R6 to 1.1 using Dale's by-hand
instructions (using dpkg).  Worked wouthout problems (mostly -- see
below) and I'm glad I went by this method rather than using dselect;
I'm almost certain this (using dpkg) was the easier route.

Only problems I came across:

* ld.so-1.7.14-4 complains if binfmt_elf is in /etc/modules even if
  your kernel has ELF support compiled in.  Just remove binfmt_elt
  from /etc/modules

* New revision: libc5-5.2.18-5 (was -4)

* New version: bsdutils-3.0-1 (was 2.0-2).  This won't install until
  sysvinit-2.60-1 is installed, so just do that first.  (Dale suggests
  doing it at the end, but I didn't have any problems doing it at this
  point)

* I skipped mbr-1.0.0-2, as I boot from floppy

* dpkg -i doc/man*.deb also installs the German manpages (manpages-de)
  which you may not wish to do

* Got a downgrade warning for ae-96.2-2, which I ignored

* Watch out you don't overrwrite /etc/passwd and /etc/group when
  installing base-1.1.0-2

* New revision gzip-1.2.4-10 (was -9)

* New revision modules-1.3.69f-3 (was -1)

* sysklogd-1.3-1 has a bug in the preinst; apparently a new version is
  on the way (but hasn't hit my mirror yet).  I haven't re-installed
  this yet, but it doesn't seem to be causing problems

* New revision tar-1.11.8-5 (was -4)

* Didn't bother with image-1.3.64 or the last two steps (sysvinit had
  been updated earlier, and I don't use lilo)

All seems to be working fine.

Cheers,
# Dave

--
David M. Smith, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Lancaster University
<D.M.Smith@lancaster.ac.uk>  x3952  http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk:2080/~maa036/