Various problems with 1.1

I've successfully upgraded my system to 1.1 using the Dale method(TM)
and most things seem to be working fine.  I have a few niggling
problems though -- maybe someone out there can help?

1. On boot, I get messages like

	No dependency information for module /lib/modules/current/fs/nfs.o

   What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

2. The console seems to be configured for a US rather than a UK
   keyboard.  The only script in init.d which runs the kdb program is
   `console', so I can fix the problem by changing us.map to gb.map
   and running the console script.  However I assume it's meant to be
   run at boot time, but as far as I can tell, it's not.

3. I've had to install XFree3.1.2D to support my Mach64 card.  The
   a.out version worked fine with 9.3R6, but this time I installed the
   ELF version.  Works fine, except xterm won't run -- can't find
   libtermcap.so.2.  I've got libtermcap.a and libtermcap.sa, so why
   doesn't it work?  Where (what package) can I get libtermcap.so.2?
   ldconfig doesn't fix the problem.

4. Dselect keeps on complaining about dpkg (currently 1.1.5aout),
   because (I think) it depends on the a.out C libraries which
   conflict with other stuff.  I've put it on hold to avoid the
   problem, but shouldn't there be an ELF version of dpkg available?

5. Somehow I seemed to end up with a fairly corrupted filesystem (fsck
   had to make about 8 fixes on my /usr partition), despite having a
   clean shutdown every time.  fsck seems to have fixed this problem
   though.

6. Is it possible to have more than one version of a package installed
   at once?  I'd like to have 1.2.13 and 1.3.64 of `source' installed
   at once, but updating to 1.3.64 removed 1.2.13.  (Incidentally,
   when it tried to remove 1.2.13, it left all the .o files behind;
   shouldn't the remove script to a `make clean' first?)

Any help greatly appreciated,
# Dave

--
David M. Smith, Department of Mathematics and Statistics, Lancaster University
<D.M.Smith@lancaster.ac.uk>  x3952  http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk:2080/~maa036/