Re: Various problems with 1.1

In message <[🔎] m0uBlsN-00063cC@mongo.pixar.com>, Bruce Perens writes:
>Go in /lib and symbolic link libncurses.so.3.0 to
>libtermcap.so.2 and then run "ldconfig" and see if that helps.
>I think the ncurses package should probably provide this link.

First, I don't think that would solve his problem, because what he's
got is a beta dist of XFree86 that's been linked with libtermcap (the
real thing) instead of ncurses.  The two aren't necessarily
call-compatible, are they?

Anyway, I think having a symlink like this might be bad because of
possible confusion it could cause when moving binaries to and from
Debian systems.

I think the "right" answer is for Debian to have a termcap-compat
package that is optional, containing the ELF termcap and an
/etc/termcap file, for situations like this where someone needs to run
a binary from another system.

Mike.
--
"Don't let me make you unhappy by failing to be contrary enough...."