Re: DNS reverse name lookup question

> Our ISP has never had our reverse name lookup set up correctly.  Finally,
> after much whining on our part, they finally did.  This only worked for a
> few days however and then they changed our IP address as they changed
> their Internet feed from Sprint to MCI (I think).  Now they tell us that
> the reason our reverse name lookup doesn't work is because of MCI and is
> out of their control.  However, since our ISP is the one running the
> DNS, I suspect they are feeding me a load of hooey (excuse the
> language).  Wouldn't the people who run the DNS have total control over
> the reverse name mapping?  Or could they possibly be telling the truth?
> Also, how much work would it be to set up and run our own DNS on a Linux
> machine?

It actually wasn't too much work for me.  I think that I had some problems
with automatic configuration, but if you want to run the primary DNS for
your zone, you probably should know what exactly is going on.  If you are
not running the primary DNS (either for your domain name or for your IP),
then you don't have the ability to fix the problems, so this isn't going to
help you.

Directions:

	Go out and buy the O'Reilly Bind & DNS book (the one with the
			butterfly on the cover).

	Install the Debian bind package.

	Answer the questions.

	Then go into /var/named and fix the files so that they work right.
		(Also, you should do what I didn't, which was to take notes
		to help the package maintainer make the question-and-answer
		program work right.)

I run the primary DNS for firefly.com.  But, as I am sitting at the wrong
end of a 28.8 dedicated PPP connection to the Internet, my ISP's DNS serves
as a secondary, which of course is what the rest of the Internet sees, so I
don't have name queries flooding through my itty-bitty pipeline.

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Refinance the house!
  <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Project: lockstep

			     Programmer for hire.