xaw3d: scroll bars don't look right

Previously, when I was using the stable version of Debain, I had installed
Xaw3d by hand.  Things looked nice.  Scroll bars looked like Motif scroll
bars.  Now I've upgraded to 1.1.  I removed my old xaw3d files by hand,
and then installed the xaw3d Debian package.  Now everything looks like it
is suppose to (I think) except for the scroll bars look almost like
regular Athena scroll bars (they are recessed, but the thing you grab (the
handle?) looks like a regular Athena scroll bar not a Motif scroll bar).
Does anybody know why this is the case?  Do other people's scroll bars
look like mine?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Gerry
gerry@blue.intele.net