problem with IEEE arithmetic

I tried sending this twice to the gcc list, but it just doesn't work,
so maybe someone here knows about this:

Someone sais that running a program (in fortran, translated by f2c)
under linux with 4.6.26 and gcc 2.6.3 gives erroneous results. The
same program run in a sun workstation works, but produces msgs. like
"Note: the following IEEE floating-point arithmetic exceptions
occurred and were never cleared; see IEEE-flags(3M): Inexact; Invalid
Operand".
I thought floating point arithmetic was IEEE-compliant by default. Is
it? If so, how can I disable it? If not, how can I enable it?
Also, is there a public document describing the IEEE standard?

Carlos