"Netiquette" of requesting package updates

As a new Debian user who migrated from Slackware, one of the
few things I find a comparative disadvantage is being dropped
back to earlier releases of certain programs.  I spend close
to 50% of my Linux time using two programs, an editor and
a WWW browser, and in both cases the current Debian version
is several months out of date.

The last thing I want to do is to pester a volunteer who is
freely donating time to hurry up with a new package.  On
the other hand, it would seem that keeping up with new releases
should be part of the maintainer's responsibility.  What is the
etiquette on requesting or inquiring about package updates, if
any?

And in the meantime, I assume it would be best to remove the two
packages in question and put binaries of the newer versions in
/usr/local/bin, rather than to just replace the installed
binaries in /usr/bin?