Re: /etc/passwd migration between systems

Wayne Schlitt <zuul!backbone!wayne@worldtlk.worldtalk.com> writes:
> > As Jim Worthington said:
> > >
> > > I do know that when I tried to copy my /etc/passwd file from a Sun
> > > system to Debian 1.1, the passwords would not decrypt correctly on
> > > login.
>

> Just another data point....  I just copied my passwords from my SVR4
> Dell Unix system to Linux, and they worked fine.

  And another data point (for Crack).  My old binary of Crack works on
  Debian 1.1, HP-UX 9.*, and SunOS password files also.  I also
  recompiled it and it still works on the SunOS file.

  Also tried logging in with an HP-UX password.  Also worked fine in 1.1.

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.