Re: minimal system

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Mike& Candy List wrote:

> can anyone advise a new debian user on a scenario in which a useable
> system can be installed on a 120 meg hard drive with a 20 meg swap

If this were my system, I would install linux, but not X.  You didn't
say, but I suspect that you are also low on memory and your swap drive
is fairly old.  If my assumptions are correct, and you installed X,
your system would swap to disk often and slowly.  Not fun.

I like emacs, but I would learn to like vi if I had your system.  If vi
is too unfriendly, try some of the other small editors available in
Debian.

Virtual consoles (cntrl-alt-F1, cntrl-alt-F2, ...) and job control
(cntrl-z, bg, fg, ...) can make a non-X system more fun.  If the
preceeding sentence is gibberish to you, send me private email and I
will explain in more detail.

Hope this helps
Mike