Re: Reorganizing linux.* hierachy

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@drinkel.cistron.nl) wrote:
: In article <[🔎] 502r6l$i9l@miriam.fuller.edu>,
: Christoph Lameter <clameter@miriam.fuller.edu> wrote:
: >I think we should do the following.
: >
: >1. Map all high traffic groups / mailing lists linux.xxx to
: >   comp.os.linux.*
:
: No, *please* don't do this with, for example, linux.dev.kernel. It has
: enough junk in it as it is; spreading this through all of usenet will make
: the group useless. The real kernel hackers will find a new mailinglist
: and use that instead (in fact that's already happening at the moment,
: as I understand) and it will leave you with another group with lots of
: traffic and no actual content.
It has content even if the "real kernel hackers" find other ways of discussing
the issues. The group is appearently needed otherwise it would not have that
high a volume. You cannot avoid junk.
:
: >2. reorganize the linux.* groups to throw obsolete things out.
:
: Some FAQ or document that says which groups exist and which are obsolete
: would help; I would like to remove disfunctional groups on our newsserver
: ASAP.
That would be nice.
:
: >3. Make all groups non-moderated. The current setup is a major
: >   speed problem.
:
: Remember linux.* is really a gateway to a mailing list. BTW, do you
: have your moderators file set up right? When I post something in linux.*,
: it shows up on our news server within a matter of _minutes_. You do have
: "linux.*:submit-%s@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com" in your moderators file, right?
Exactly. And I have had repeatedly problems with that host rejecting e-mail and
delaying delivery for hours. I have never had a message show up within
minutes.
The reason for the delays might also be my NNTP access.
Is there any location I can draw a faster NNTP feed for linux.* from?
I currently get linux.* via PSI.