1.3 Notebook installs

How do I get 1.3 on my notebook? The notebook is a follows:

AST Ascentia 810N
488DX/2 66
8MB RAM
540MB HDD
DSTN Color LCD
2 Type 2 PCMCIA slots
        Slot1: GVC (Cirrus Logic) 14.4 modem
        Slot2: SMC EliteCard 10T Ethernet Card
Track ball (psaux detects it OK)
1 serial port (serial detects it OK)
1 parallel port (not detected)

I've managed to get the base install completed off of diskettes, and the
system boots fine. I've copied pcmcia-cs_2.9.5-3.deb and
pcmcia-modules-2.0.29_2.9.5-2.deb to a floppy, and copied in turn to a
dir on the notebook. I then did a dpkg -i --force-depends for both
packages.  All seemed to go well.  On restart or even running pcmcia
start I get the following errors and the modules do not load. (lsmod
shows serial, and psaux only)

./pcmcia_core.o: unresolved symbol apm_unregister_callback_Rb7166c6e
./pcmcia_core.o: unresolved symbol apm_register_callback_R4e72ac41

probe returns the following:
Intel PCIC probe: Cirrus CL-PD627x found, 2 sockets

with -m returns:
i82365

Also modconf can't seem to find the modules, even though the menu item
is now there to pick from.

my last resort my be to set up a slip connection to another deb box, and
hook up a null modem cable (which I've never done either)

Thanks

Darren Renaud