Re: Winmodem

On Sat, 12 Jul 1997, Gerald V. Livingston lI wrote:

>   I still don't understand the reasoning behind moving hardware
> functions into software.

   It's simple Gerald, it saves a few pennies on manufacturing costs.

> Maybe I'm paranoid (-; but it all seems like a plot to force consumers to
> purchase upgraded machines.  It really looks like the reasoning goes this
> way: "Well, it looks like processors are finally fast enough to do whatever
> the consumer wants at an acceptable speed ---- So, what can we do to slow
> them down so they'll need faster CPU's next year?"

   That sounds ominously close to something called planned obsolescence.  We
all know that U.S. companies wouldn't do anything like THAT, don't we... :-(

 Regards,                 | Debian GNU/ __      o
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...