What depth is my Xserver running at?

Subject pretty much says it all.  I've got a Dell PPro w/ Number 9
Reality 332 (S3 virge).  My XF86Config has entries for multiple
displays (I think) at different depths.  Reading the XFree86 docs
last night indicated if there are multiple entries w/ different
depths, then it uses the one the server is called with (or something
like that). I hope it isn't in 'startx'.  Its probably the one file
I didn't look at last night.

I'm now using fvwm2 as my window mngr and am investigating AfterStep.
In using AfterStep in, I think, 16 bpp mode, the AfterStep icons, etc.
look fine but Netscape, emacs (hiliting on), and xv colors are
all screwed up.  I think it must be a color depth conflict, or running
apps compiled (or whatever) for 8 bpp in 16 bpp mode.

Any hints??

Thanks...