Re: Bugs in 1.3.1 Debian packages

On Sun, 27 Jul 1997, Carl Fink wrote:

:I send a letter to this list earlier, complaining about a problem after
:upgrading inn.  I have now figured out the problem.
:
:Consulting the inn FAQ, I find that the error I saw is caused by a
:corrupt history.dir file.  Theoretically running makehistory as I did
:should have cleared this, but it didn't.  In the end I had to delete
:history.dir and replace it with the "clean" one from the package.
:
:Really, I don't think the inn package should corrupt history.dir, and
:would consider this a bug.

After installing INN myself and having my server crash a few times due
to bad SCSI drives, I'd have to note that inn is _very_ touchy.  If you
replaced any of the files in /var/lib/news during the upgrade, it seems
likely to me that inn wasn't happy when it restarted.

:
:Another bug for the maintainer:  the new ppp package prevented me from
:running the pon script as non-root.  It happens that I knew how to fix
:this (chmod the pppd executable to make it runnably by mere mortals),
:but a beginner would be stumped.

A better idea, read the docs and make ppp users members of group "dip".
Security is not a bug.

:
:And another:  upgrading the DOSEMU package not only replaced my
:/etc/dosemu/conf file, but *wiped it out*, forcing me to reconfigure
:from scratch.
:
:I have good backups, but again someone else might have had the program
:rendered unusable.  I consider all three of these significant bugs.
:The first one wasted a full day of my time, not something I consider
:trivial.
:
:Thanks for listening.
:--
:Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
:Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
:<http://dm.net>
:
:
:--
:TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org .
:Trouble?  e-mail to templin@bucknell.edu .
: